During week 9, Parth and I were doing a full Thesis sprint in order to catch ourselves up with the project, as well as meet our deadlines for our prototype session. At this time, we decided to create another scene and add mechanics between the two scenes (the new one and the concept art) in order test some of the mechanics we had. I started creating a second scene in 3DS Max, but soon switched to Unity because I was not able to generate an island design without creating more assets. Before switching, however, I thought of the time when Parth and I talked about leaf boats. I decided to model a few boats to match our game style. After attempting a leaf boat and a regular boat, we decided to go for the raft.

Since we were more interested in getting mechanics into a scene rather than generating more assets, using Unity was the correct move for us, as most of the assets were set up from the concept art. By jumping to Unity, I was able to free up more time for animations, which allowed me to think more about the dynamics and reactions of the game. While I had estimated that this scene would take me a single day to complete, due to a design block, I ended up spending two days to complete it.

screen-shot-2016-11-18-at-1-08-15-am
After creating the island, I started to create a lotus flower that would bloom if the user swiped up. In order to get every petal to bloom the way we wanted to, I had to create a bone structure for the petals, and animate them in a way to look as if they were popping out at certain parts. While the animation part took the longest to do, since I had to consider that each petal should not be animated unanimously, I was unable to fully grasp how flowers grew. As I animated the flower, I constantly referred back to different time-lapsed videos of how flowers bloomed. I consistently started and paused videos to see how the flowers reacted, and tried to mimic those growing patterns with the lotus I was animating.

After I showed my progress to Parth, we sat down and imported the animated flower into Unity. After adding some effects, lighting, and colour changes to the scene, we managed to make a demo of the animation.

We quickly jumped back to the prototype demo after we completed the animation art demo of the flower. At this point, I spent more time working on texturing the island for new objects that were used. Due to having GitHub .ignore issues which caused me to have missing files in my Unity project, I worked on the scene as a separate project, which Parth later imported to the regular project.

Parth requested that we had a patch of grass that grew on the island if the player interacted with it. Agreeing to his request, I modelled a patch of grass, created bones for the grass blades, and animated them. Since I did not know how grass grew, I spent at least an hour to two looking up on different time-lapsed videos on growth of grass. A major challenge I had with the grass patch was forgetting to stop recording key frame movements. This caused different grass blades to translate improperly, causing me to spend extra amount of time fixing those specific key frames.

After all of the island assets and the flower animation was completed, I jumped back to animating the fish. However, at this point, we did not have enough time to incorporate it into our demo scene, nor was it animating in a proper state as the bones deformed once again; thus it remained unused.

From there on, Parth and I sat together and worked on the island scene to ensure everything was working effectively. From there, we were able to make four scenes, where two of the scenes were concept arts for the grass and flower, and two scenes were the intro and concept art.

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 1.01.06 AM.png

Advertisements